The questions I get asked all the time are: why is my candle smoking; how do I make my candle burn longer or why don't my reeds smell anymore. So here are some tips to make your candles burn longer and to make sure that you are getting the most value from your home fragrance.
Your safety & enjoyment is our main concern, so please consider the following when using your Havana Home beautiful soy candle or scented room diffuser:-
- Never leave a burning candle unattended, make sure you don't forget about a candle burning in the other room.
- Keep candle away from things that catch fire. This may seem obvious but can include things like curtains and floral arrangements. If your candle is near an open window make sure that flammable items cannot be blown onto your candle.
- Children and pets are inquisitive by nature please make sure that your candle is placed well away from reach.
- Prevent blackening on the glass by trimming the wick before each use. Trim wicks will also increase the burn time of your candle. Around 6mm is the perfect length and you can use special wick trimmers or scissors for this. If your wick is too long your candle may start to smoke but also a long wick makes the candle burn faster (bigger flame = hotter candle = faster burning).
- Do not burn your natural wax candle for less than 1 hour or more than 4 hours at a time. Soy wax candles have a memory and after the first burn will return to that burn pattern. It is important that with the first burn that the entire top of the candle has melted.
- Do not move a lit candle and please wait until the wax has returned to solid form before moving.
- The candle container will get hot, please burn on a heat resistant surface.
- Do not use the candle if there are cracks in the glass.
- Use the provided lid when the candle is not in use to protect it from dust.
- The ideal way to extinguish your candle is to hold your forefinger between the candle and your mouth when you blow it out. This creates an even distribution of “wind” around your flame which will improve the performance of your candle.
- Turn your reeds regularly to maintain their scent. You can control the amount of fragrance dispersed with the number of reeds. If you find a fragrance too strong - simply remove a couple of the sticks.
- You can extend the life of your diffuser by placing it away from direct sunlight and draughts.
- Place your reed diffuser on a coaster or tray to protect you surfaces from any spills.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
You might also be interested in how to choose a scented candle for your home, here.